Boy trapped in lift awarded €40,000 damages. A seven-year-old boy who was trapped in a lift for nearly three quarters of an hour has been awarded damages of €40,000 in the Circuit Civil Court. Circuit Court President, Mr Justice Raymond Groarke, heard that the lift had to be broken open after the boy had been trapped at the apartment complex where he lived. Counsel for the boy told the court that the lift had suddenly lost power leaving the boy and his father trapped inside. The barrister said there had been several unsuccessful attempts to open the doors by his dad and others who had also been trapped. Counsel went on to say that after five minutes the boy, who sued the lift company and the flats complex through his father had panicked when an alarm had sounded causing him further distress. The barrister said he suffered from asthma and his father, on the emergency phone, had warned that the lift was becoming extremely hot for his son and the others inside. The barrister informed the court that on the fourth alarm call had the father had been informed the fire brigade had not been alerted and the operator had begun hanging up and placing the father on hold. In the professional opinion to the court the barrister stated that after forty minutes the emergency services had arrived and had difficulty accessing the lift. They had to go to the floor above and fire fighters had to get those trapped inside to push and bang the doors. Eventually a gap had been made between the doors and the trapped people rescued. The boy did not have his inhalers with him at the time. The boy had to be placed against a cold steel wall to be cooled down. He had been very shocked and distressed and had scraped his leg on the way out. Judge Groarke heard that the boy had suffered serious trauma as a result of the incident and the joint defendants had made a settlement offer of €40,000 which was recommended to the court and which was approved.